Let’s ignore the fact for a minute that our weather can be totally pants(!), making it difficult for us to plan lazy beach days at lovely seaside towns, and instead look at the positives. The amount of lovely beaches we have in and around Somerset where we at least have the option of being rained on AND the fact that lots of them have such fab events that a little rain and/or gale force storm wouldn’t put us off anyway.
This post looks at some of the fun that can be had in Weston-Super-Mare. It also shares details of some great upcoming events in the area.
1) Spend the day on the beach…obvs. Weston-super-Mare beach has oodles of golden sand and provides exactly what you would expect for a fun-filled seaside day. Ice creams, buckets & spades, fish & chips, and old-school donkeys that are uber friendly and used to getting their photos taken.
2) Visit the Grand Pier which is open every day (apart from Christmas day) with a £1 entrance fee. Rides include the go-karts, dodgems, F1 simulators, crazy circus, 4D cinema, house of horrors, helter skelter, laser maze, arcade games and plenty more. Check online before you visit as during certain times (normally weekends and school holidays) you can buy unlimited rides wristbands for only £15.00. More here…www.grandpier.co.uk
3) If you don’t like getting sand in your food pop along to Clarence Park for your picnic, which is lovely and close to the seafront so you are able to visit both 🙂 It has a children’s play area and a little café that serves milkshakes that your little ones will love. Also, throughout the summer it has music playing most Sundays where you can enjoy listening to local talent. Grove Park is another fab park in Weston where you can enjoy free music from local talent.
4) Visit Worlebury Woods where you will find an adventure playground with zip wires, swings and a climbing frame. There is plenty of space for picnics, bug spotting and you can even see the remains of an Iron Age fort. Located at Worlebury Hill Road, WSM, BS22 9ST.
5) See your little ones’ eyes light up by paying a visit to Weston’s Sand Sculpture Festival. There are always loads of amazing sculptures on display with some beloved storybook characters that are instantly recognisable. There are usually some pretty cool photo-ops as well.
6) Visit Aj’s Laser tag and Karting for a brilliantly fun day! Laser Quest is a non contact event for up to 18 players and their dedicated arena provides the perfect setting for a variety of game formats. In the arena they use sound smoke and lights to create an intense atmosphere, and you must use stealth and strategy to outwit your fellow players! Now that sounds like fun! Alternatively, visit the go karting track…the track has been designed to reward and inspire drivers of all abilities and ages. They run a variety of different events including “Arrive and Drive”, Children’s Karting, Corporate Events & Stag & Hen parties. Find out more here . If you’re seeking good family fun or adrenaline pumping thrills add them to your visit list!
There is LOADS more that you can do for fun in and around Weston- super-Mare. For more ideas have a look here… www.loveweston.com
Following on from that, here are some great events that are coming up in Weston-super-Mare this year…
1) Watch some planes soar! The 2015 Weston Air Festival and Armed Forces Day will take place on Saturday 20 and Sunday 21 June 2015. The weekend will include loads of exhilarating air displays, arena performances, fun fair rides, refreshments AND the world-renowned Red Arrows will perform on both days of the festival.
2) Visit the Weston Super Food Festival this September on the 26th or 27th for FREE. This festival does a fantastic job of showcasing all the yummy food and drink that makes the West Country famous. There are indoor and outdoor markets, real ale and cider bars. There is also plenty of family fun to be had including different food themed fun cooking, food science, food themed Lego, iPad animation, storytelling, music & more! More here…westonsuperfoodfestival.co.uk
3) Idea for a date night…put a note in the diary to visit the Backyard Cinema for an outdoor cinema experience. Here are a few of the showings they have coming up in Weston this year at the Cricket Club… The Breakfast Club on the 5th June 2015, Dirty dancing on the 24th July 2015, the Lost Boys on the 14th August 2015 & Back to the Future on the 21st October 2015. Remember to pack something warm to wear (just in case!), a picnic blanket and possibly a torch. They have a fully stocked bar on site AND they serve hot food and popcorn. Perfect! More here...www.backyardcinema.co.uk
4) Go and see a show. Weston has 2 great theatres, The Playhouse and The Blakehay. Children’s shows coming up this year at The Playhouse include ‘The Cuckles of Oz’ on the 17th May 2015, ‘Ben & Holly’s Little Kingdom on the 20th & 21st June 2015 and ‘The Gruffalo’ on the 12th and 13th September’. One to try and catch at The Blakehay showing in July is Cats.
5) From the 9th – 11th October 2015 pay a visit to Weston beach for a weekend of beach racing! With approximately 100,000 visiting each year, and some of the top names in the off-road world in attendance, this is sure to be an adrenaline-charged event.